Julie's 5 tips doula's need to know!
I am making a blogging goal to post something a t least once a week or so and it might be here or might be on Catholic365.com or the Facebook page - so you may want to look at www.catholic365.com as I can schedule things there and Facebook better - however, I still want to post on our website here as well. It gives someone a reason to come here to find news and such...so...now here are my tips...
1. If you are working with a virtual client - make sure you have the right time zone when talking to them. This happened to me recently and I totally forgot she was on Eastern time while I am in Central time zone! So, I had to reschedule with her and then my computer decided to update about the time I tried to chat with her - but at least I gave her something to read - so I do need to make sure my computer doesn't do that either - two tips in one here!!
2. Get a schedule - calendar online or on paper. At the moment I am thinking paper - here's why I share my computer with my family and we use it for school to husband's work - so that means a paper calendar might be better to write my schedule on. I can always put it on a digital one later! I really need an i-pad or something - LOL...
3. Make weekly goals and monthly goals. If you write it down it is more likely going to happen for you. There' s a book called "Write it Down Make it Happen" - I would suggest reading it for goal setting. So, set your doula goals or whatever kinds of goals you have in mind. This goes for mom goals too!
4. Now do your goal - if it just sits on paper nothing is going to get done - really take action on your goals! I just started teaching a new course and want to make it set up with specific time frames for the students - and my students help motivate me - I just got a student who wants to get started now - I love it. So, motivation and motivating students help me reach my goals!
5. Finding your clients - marketing hasn't been really my strong point - but one thing you can do even if you are a bit shy - get out into your community -go to events - go out to eat at the local cafe' and just meet people. This is going to be one of my goals for the new year - so hopefully you can do this too - even if you are shy - get out of your comfort zone!
I hope these tips help you reach your goals in year 2020. One of my goals is getting to press at least digital for now is our book "Doing Business the Doula Way" -so look for that in an online store near you - I'll post more once it goes to press - Lisa Van Der Wilt and I put this book together.
Juliana Larsen is the author of the Catholic Doula Blog.