Being a doula for a year has been one incredible journey. I have loved every moment of it. But somethings I wish I knew when I started my doula business are the following tips. These tips we hope you can become a better doula from or even learn more for your FUTURE business as a doula.
1. Don't bother with what other doulas think of you. Not every doula is going to like you. It isn't a field where most people like each other. I really was hoping that we all could work together but the competition can be hot. Don't let other's tear you down and what they do with their business you don't have to do with yours.
2. Set a Goal for your Business each month. Something I wish I did in the beginning of my business is creating goals in the beginning I just did my training when I could and that worked but as I got other jobs at the same time it was really hard on my system to keep it all organized.
3. Take time to improve yourself with more training and knowledge. Even if you don't offer lots of different packages in everything like babywearing, birth, postpartum, fertility, nutrition... etc. You can always learn more. Learn it so you can teach your clients what they may want to know. Take a different training each year to improve yourself.
4. Take a Training that you agree with morally. So many trainings have different mission statements. You may not agree with abortion, you may not want to take a training that supports that. You may also want to see what you believe in on other things as well as something you can learn before your training.
5. Don't forget that being a doula is after all a business and it is work. You need to remember to take care of yourself and don't obsess over this so much that you are unable to take care of your health, and family time.
Being a doula is amazing and I hope to continue being a doula for as long as I can before other things come up. But I wish I knew some of these things before I took my training, before having issues with other doulas because the competition was hot. Think about it and really do your research.
These are just the opinions of one doula. Lisa van der Wilt.