Being a doula for a year has been one incredible journey. I have loved every moment of it. But somethings I wish I knew when I started my doula business are the following tips. These tips we hope you can become a better doula from or even learn more for your FUTURE business as a doula.
1. Don't bother with what other doulas think of you. Not every doula is going to like you. It isn't a field where most people like each other. I really was hoping that we all could work together but the competition can be hot. Don't let other's tear you down and what they do with their business you don't have to do with yours.
2. Set a Goal for your Business each month. Something I wish I did in the beginning of my business is creating goals in the beginning I just did my training when I could and that worked but as I got other jobs at the same time it was really hard on my system to keep it all organized.
3. Take time to improve yourself with more training and knowledge. Even if you don't offer lots of different packages in everything like babywearing, birth, postpartum, fertility, nutrition... etc. You can always learn more. Learn it so you can teach your clients what they may want to know. Take a different training each year to improve yourself.
4. Take a Training that you agree with morally. So many trainings have different mission statements. You may not agree with abortion, you may not want to take a training that supports that. You may also want to see what you believe in on other things as well as something you can learn before your training.
5. Don't forget that being a doula is after all a business and it is work. You need to remember to take care of yourself and don't obsess over this so much that you are unable to take care of your health, and family time.
Being a doula is amazing and I hope to continue being a doula for as long as I can before other things come up. But I wish I knew some of these things before I took my training, before having issues with other doulas because the competition was hot. Think about it and really do your research.
These are just the opinions of one doula. Lisa van der Wilt.
Join the Learning to Birth Conference
We found this wonderful conference online and you can learn so much from going to this conference everyday, but this is the last week to signup for FREE - so if you want the conference links in your inbox - go to www.learningtobirth.com and join the conference. One of my friends Maha Al Musa had a talk on it - so go learn about breastfeeding, birth, etc. Today's conference is from Anna Horn and breastfeeding!
This conference continues through November and ends on December 1st - so enjoy. We want to continue sharing links like this.
Oh, by the way, we are going to plan an online Catholic Doula Conference next year - so wait for that one - we finally decided that online 2020 Conference and we do hope to offer a least a workshop in New Jersey area and possibly Denver. I also had a request for Florida and California - but not sure I can do more than 2 a year - so we will see! We just want to be able to do workshops more - so we will see!!
So, go check out the Learning to Birth Conference!
New St. Zelie Parent Classes Starting in January!
Welcome to our blog - St. Zelie Parent classes will be starting in early January if we have signups. We started a new parent website at http://stzelie.weebly.com So, our parent classes are all online. They are meant for both parents to work through. However, if dad is busy - we kind of have dad section in each module or "suggested" area for dad to read. Also, there is suggested homework for both parents. The books you need for the course will be included in the $189 price for the class. Christ Centered Childbirth and The Gift of Birth are our readings for each module. This is a six week online class - but feel free to take your time for the class. We hope you will explore this new website.
Also, we will be posting more news articles on this section - so come on over and read our blog. We hope to post something fun to learn about once a week. If you subscribe to our "Mothers News" you will also be alerted to our blog posts.
We also have podcasts - and those will be part of our Mother's Newsletter - you subscribe for free and you will receive all our podcasts too! So, subscribe on our front page or email
So, Why Catholic Doula Program?
1. 100% Pro-life training - we will never preach anything that is against life from conception to birth - this is a child in God's eyes. No "abortion doula" baloney. All life is precious! If we get to a fertility doula course, no contraception (birth control) as this is also anti-life.
2. We are not politically correct! (We refer usually to father as that father/partner/husband) and mother as mother!
3. We offer spiritual based training from Gifts of Holy Ghost to Joys or Sorrows of Mary included in our training!
4. We want our students to be happy--interaction with student/teachers are important to us.
5. We devote a lot of time to making the curriculum affordable and updating it often--keeping it evidenced based as much as possible.
6. Rebozo training is included in the cost -- no need to take an extra rebozo course (birth doula only for this).
7. We offer all things in a Christian/Catholic format -- no "goddess worship".
8. Get a Mexican rebozo shawl with your birth doula course!
Easter Giveaway and non-certified "doula" route for moms!