Frequently asked questions about Birth Doula Course and information to get you started!
Required Books for Birth Doula
List of Books:
1. The Birth Partner -- 4th edition by Penny Simkin. Link here: https://amzn.to/2Hdyla7
2. The Nurturing Touch at Birth--by Paulina Perez is still the 3rd edition Link here: https://amzn.to/2q9uKCz
***3. The Gift of Birth: Discerning God's Presence During Childbirth by Susan Windley-Daoust ***This is a new add-on book we have decided to add on a new required reading. Link here: https://amzn.to/2qeOTGO
B.L.O.O.M. Program included
We have a special website just about BLOOM to learn more go to: momsofbloom.weebly.com
Books for BLOOM Pregnancy course: 1. Community Support for New Families: Guide to Organizing a Postpartum Parent Support Network in Your Community Paperback – April 4, 2013 by Jane I. Honikman
2. A Catholic Mother's Companion to Pregnancy: Walking with Mary from Conception to Baptism (Catholicmom.Com Books) Paperback – September 24, 2012 by Sarah A. Reinhard
3. Christ Centered Childbirth by Kelly Townsend.
The BLOOM course can be taken after the other course or on "break" week sessions of above course. It is also optional if you do not want to do that is fine.
Paper Option of course vs. Digital online class.
We have heard some requests for a Paper option of the course. We can do that; but we will have to charge our full $500 fee for doing paper in order to cover printing costs. The regular price for digital is $450. If there is a sale going on; we might be willing to do a 10 percent off on the print version.
The print version will also have some slight differences as our digital version is more oriented to interacting with other students in forums and such. The print version; you can either email or send "regular mail" in your assignments and quiz answers for grading. Discussions will be optional for most part or you will have option of Facebook group if you can do that on your cell phone.
If you wish to enroll in paper version of the course - please see Enrollment Paper Version link here.
Birth Doula Program -- Frequent Asked Questions -- Learn more about our program below!
Newest self-pace program includes timeline from week One thru week 30 to finish. This includes 2-part business section from Module 6B and Module 7B.
Info~Based on the Gifts of the Holy Ghost
First of all our Program is based and inspired by the 7 Gifts of the Holy Ghost: "Gift of Fear of the Lord", "Gift of Piety", "Gift of Counsel", "Gift of Fortitude", "Gift of Knowledge", "Gift of Understanding", and "Gift of Wisdom". So, we will go over information and define each gift. You will also have links to websites about each gift. You will read and study this information. We will show you how to apply the Gift to doula work. For instance the "Gift of Fear of the Lord" is helping us learn to approach God in a less fearful way and "Be not afraid". We suggest as a doula that we help mothers approach birth in a less fearful way and help them "let go of fears". We even have an assignment about "Letting go of Fears".
A Quiz is offered at the end of each "Gift of the Holy Ghost" section with exception of maybe one module requires a handout instead.
1. What will I be Learning?
From Module One: We include the "Gift of Fear of the Lord" in the first module. We teach you how to work with mothers and "Letting Go of Fears". You will work through first two chapters of "The Nurturing Touch at Birth" and for self-pace read first part of "The Birth Partner". You created a Childbirth Timeline as one of your first assignments to understand the importance of knowing your history of childbirth. You participate in our new community project where you create a blog or website of resources to share. You will also learn about St. Gerard Majella as our first patron saint of pregnant mothers. You may ask us for a free module sample -- this is a way to "try before you buy" go to our contact us page to ask for a sample. Thank you.
2. What Is The Difference Between Self-Pace and Fast-Track Program?
Self-Pace program is just that -- you can take your time up to 2 years to become a doula though this is extendable. We do have a way you can finish self-pace within a shorter amount of time if so desired. Fast-Track program has a time limit of one year to be a doula and we offer the Fast-track birth around 3-4 times a year. Check out Fast-Track Info Here. (*Note: Self-pace students are now required to be up to date on forums and stay active. See policies page.)
3. Will I become a Certified Doula When Finished? Do I need to recertify?
Yes, you will be a fully certified doula. We send emailed certificate through Eliademy classroom. (Printed certificates are also available -- when our prices go up we will include printed for free--until then they are $25 a piece.) We do not require recertification - instead we require 5-6 CEU's each year. We also offer an Herbal Course online for 6 CEU's. We plan to offer more courses in the future. You can also take courses with Evidence Based Birth, DONA, etc. Just ask us!
4. What Services can I provide as a Doula?
As a doula you are a non-medical "advocate" for the mother. You are their for the mother on a emotional, physical, and spiritual level. You provide 1-3 prenatals, full continuous labor support, and one postpartum visit as a birth doula. You can also offer classes for new parents if so desired. We suggest you consider taking the postpartum course if you are considering offering postpartum doula services (click here to learn more). We also offer a bereavement course if you have a desire to help mothers with loss. Note bereavement course will not be available after April 30th; so we can revise it. Thank you.
5. What is the B.L.O.O.M. Program? Why is that included with my training?
Bettering Lives of Outstanding Moms (B.L.O.O.M.) is our pregnancy support leadership training (we also offer a postpartum version to go with postpartum training). Our course offers a unique experience in learning to help mothers as a support leader and it is also a way to expand your doula training as well. You learn how to lead a support group and gain skills on helping mothers even more with pregnancy. There are extra books needed to purchase; but we recommend you go through this slowly, etc. We also offer this -- if you do not want to be a support leader -- at least read through the materials and you will receive 5 CEU's for taking the course! Learn about our BLOOM groups at http://momsofbloom.weebly.com
6. What is Included In Birth Doula?
1. Your 7 module course. -- usually located in Eliademy -- we also have paper version of course and Facebook option if Eliademy doesn't work for you.
2. Rebozo shawl usually from Mexico -- this can take a month to get to you unless we have one in stock -- sometimes we do a group order. If you have not received your rebozo within a month, let us know. Please do not double rebozo us -- we will send tracking upon request. If you didn't receive a rebozo within reasonable time and did not report this -- we have no obligation to send you another one. Sometimes a delay can happen because of bad weather, etc. Thanks for being patient. If you prefer it faster, we can order from a US seller.
3. BLOOM course is included.
7. What are the STeps To Certification? What about Books?
8. Is there anything Else Required to Graduate?