Birth Doula Program -- Frequent Asked Questions -- Learn more about our program below!
Info~Based on the Gifts of the Holy Ghost
First of all our Program is based and inspired by the 7 Gifts of the Holy Ghost: "Gift of Fear of the Lord", "Gift of Piety", "Gift of Counsel", "Gift of Fortitude", "Gift of Knowledge", "Gift of Understanding", and "Gift of Wisdom". So, we will go over information and define each gift. You will also have links to websites about each gift. You will read and study this information. We will show you how to apply the Gift to doula work. For instance the "Gift of Fear of the Lord" is helping us learn to approach God in a less fearful way and "Be not afraid". We suggest as a doula that we help mothers approach birth in a less fearful way and help them "let go of fears". We even have an assignment about "Letting go of Fears". A Quiz is offered at the end of each "Gift of the Holy Ghost" section with exception of maybe one module requires a handout instead.
1. What will I be Learning?
From Module One: We include the "Gift of Fear of the Lord" in the first module. We teach you how to work with mothers and "Letting Go of Fears". You will work through first two chapters of "The Nurturing Touch at Birth" and for self-pace read first part of "The Birth Partner". We ask you to join Evidence Based Birth website at www.evidencebasedbirth.com (just their free newsletter). You will also learn about St. Gerard Majella as our first patron saint of pregnant mothers. You may ask us for a free module sample -- this is a way to "try before you buy" go to our contact us page to ask for a sample. Thank you.
2. What Is The Difference Between Self-Pace and Fast-Track Program?
Self-Pace program is just that -- you can take your time up to 2 years to become a doula. Fast-Track program has a time limit of one year to be a doula and we do a 3-4 month time frame of intense studies via class and Facebook group. Check out Fast-Track Info Here. (*Note: Self-pace students are now required to be up to date on forums and stay active. If a self-pace student is not active for a 9 month time frame -- then we can drop you from the course and their will be reactivation fee of $50. This is a new rule since late fall 2016. If you had enrolled before then -- you are grandfathered out. We do expect you to let us know if you are going to be inactive -- and we will waive any fees if you let us know. Example: Going on long vacation/taking time off to work or have a job, etc. We understand life happens. Just keep in contact!)
3. Will I become a Certified Doula When Finished? Do I need to recertify?
Yes, you will be a fully certified doula. We send emailed certificate through Eliademy classroom. (Printed certificates are also available -- when our prices go up we will include printed for free--until then they are $20 a piece.) We do not require recertification - instead we require 10 CEU's a year or 20 CEU's every other year. See below (B.L.O.O.M. program) on how to earn your first 5 CEU's. We also offer an Herbal Course online for 6 CEU's. We plan to offer more courses in the future. You can also take courses with Evidence Based Birth too.
4. What Services can I provide as a Doula?
As a doula you are a non-medical "advocate" for the mother. You are their for the mother on a emotional, physical, and spiritual level. You provide 1-3 prenatals, full continuous labor support, and one postpartum visit as a birth doula. You can also offer classes for new parents if so desired. We suggest you consider taking the postpartum course if you are considering offering postpartum doula services (click here to learn more). We also offer a bereavement course if you have a desire to help mothers with loss.
5. What is the B.L.O.O.M. Program? Why is that included with my training?
Bettering Lives of Outstanding Moms (B.L.O.O.M.) is our pregnancy support leadership training (we also offer a postpartum version to go with postpartum training). Our course offers a unique experience in learning to help mothers as a support leader and it is also a way to expand your doula training as well. You learn how to lead a support group and gain skills on helping mothers even more with pregnancy. There are extra books needed to purchase; but we recommend you go through this slowly, etc. We also offer this -- if you do not want to be a support leader -- at least read through the materials and you will receive 5 CEU's for taking the course! We are moving the BLOOM information to a new website at www.momsofbloom.com -- we can send you a free sample module that will have book information on it. We plan to post a syllabus of more information soon. Thank you.
6. What is Included In Birth Doula?
1. All 7 Modules of the Catholic Doula Program. All modules except 7 are in the Eliademy classroom. The last one will be sent out after we verify final payment plan payment or if you paid in full--great--we will send it to you! (Course great value!)
2. Video Review Requirement -- we will be adding in videos for you to review and comment on during our course work -- this is a "new" addition so we may be adding to classroom and when modules are updated this year we will include them at that time -- for now look in classroom for videos to review!
3. St. Anne Breastfeeding Course -- now required for doulas to take -- you will need 2 books as well for it. You can take before, during or after your birth course. This course is worth $75. We are raising prices to accomodate the course cost. See link for more info on this course.
4. First year membership in the St. Majella Catholic Doula Network is included in your birth doula course. After that membership fees apply. If you sign up with our new membership package deal (where you enroll in more than one course -- then your membership fee is good for 3 years for free and you can then start paying on the fees -- we will send when your membership expires -- you may take up to 3 years to finish your courses too.)
5. Level One of Royal Rebozoway Training; This is your "Mexican" Shawl Rebozo comfort measures and positioning techniques to help mothers training. Worth $95. (Eight techniques are included in Level One). More info at www.rebozoworkshop.com 6. Rebozo shawl is sometimes included -- please pay attention to the sale or non-sale pages. Fast-Track program also will say whether one is included or not. We have right to substitute colors/styles (such as baby wrap) but we do try our best to match what you want. Rebozos may take up to 2-3 weeks to ship. Thank you. (Worth $30-$40)
7. Includes our B.L.O.O.M. Pregnancy Support Training Program (worth $100).
8. ***New Facebook group--You will be able to interact in a Facebook group for once a month chats. We include all our love and time that we spent creating this course! (Worth $50 of our time)
9. St. Gianna Childbirth Course -- you may view one module and give us critique in place of going to a childbirth class if so desired. (Worth $25 for one module). (We have right to vary which module you will view -- most likely the first one -- but we may want feedback on a different module and that will be sent to you instead. Note: You can request full course to look over if so desired esp. if you have a couple interested -- we will consider this request on per student basis). Note: You do not need the books required for the course to critique the module. Thank you.
10. Free Brochures -- coming soon -- we are planning to make some free brochures/ebooks to help doulas and mothers learn more about doula work. We will gladly send you e-copy and you can have permission to print and distribute. Thank you!
Your package is worth $700--but for now it discounted please see enrollment page.
7. What are the STeps To Certification? What about Books?
Please see new page on steps to certification here. Thank you. Book list is below for self-pace. We also will send you a list via email if you prefer. Thank you. Fast-Track books are slightly different (see that program link here). Thank you! Book list: * The Nurturing Touch at Birth by Polly Perez (Required for Fast-Track too) * The Birth Partner by Penny Simkin * A Catholic Mother's Companion to Pregnancy: Walking with Mary from Conception to Baptism (also required for B.L.O.O.M. and Fast-Track book review) New Book for 2017: Christ Centered Childbirth (we are also adding into B.L.O.O.M. pregnancy program). You need to write a book review on this book. You must pick 2 more books for review.
St. Anne Course for Book Requirements are Making More Milk and *Gina Peterson's Breastfeeding for Catholic Mother's Book (*The second book is also used in our postpartum program). -- Thank you. St. Anne Breastfeeding Link. ------------------------------------------------------- B.L.O.O.M. Book list for Pregnancy Support: 1.*Community Support for New Families: Guide to Organizing a Postpartum Parent Support Network in Your Community (required for both birth and postpartum support -- you only have to do assignments once -- so if you enroll in both courses of BLOOM please remember this). 2.**“Christ Centered Childbirth" by Kelly Townsend (New add on for 2017) -- we will be reading through this book with some assignment. 3. A Catholic Mother’s Companion to Pregnancy (also required for Birth Doula) by Sarah Reinhard -- we will read through this book with some assignments. 4. Aromatherapy and Massage for Mother and Baby -- book review. Link: http://amzn.to/2ktCABF
Students are now required to take *St. Anne Breastfeeding Course (see link here) before graduating. B.L.O.O.M. leadership is optional to take before graduation; but if you want to become a leader--we hope that this is something that you will finish. We may make a fast-track on the B.L.O.O.M. training in near future. We are trying to streamline your ability to finish our courses faster. So, if there's enough requests for fast-track/audio/visual, etc. -- we will make your experience better. :) Thank you so much.